This activity is a huge amount of fun! River Sleds are purpose built craft that are designed specifically to allow beginners to journey down the grade 1 & 2 rapids of the Yarra River, within the stunning Warburton Yarra Valley region. Laying down on your sled you will at times drift down the river in a relaxed state whilst taking in the lush green scenery of the tall mountain ash, red gums and ferns, and at other times you will be adventuring and negotiating your way down the rapids, holding onto the handles of your sled as you dip over some small rapid drops.
- Only 75 minutes from Melbourne
- No experience necessary
- All equipment provided
- Stunningly scenic nature
- Loads of FUN!!
The beautiful Yarra Valley hosts the perfect setting to experience all that River Sledding has to offer. Warburton is a nature lovers haven, designed to satisfy those seeking a quiet retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city without hours of travel. We literally float our way into the town centre of beautiful Warburton!
When you arrive you will be greeted by our fun guides who will get you all the gear you need for the day and organise to get your car or bus to the finishing point. After this it is time to hit the water where you will be taken through a skills session. You will begin in a flat pool on the river which is perfect because it gives you an opportunity to practice your new-found skills before the real fun starts!
Within a short distance you will arrive at the first rapid where your instructors will have another quick chat about how to approach moving white water and will demonstrate to you the best ways to head downstream. Then the fun really begins with grade 1-2 rapids every few hundred meters until you reach the end.
You will have ample opportunity to test your new-found sledding skills and take in the beautiful scenery. Your instructors will also give you some tips along the way and challenge you with different techniques. We can cater to our group, whether they be timid or adventurous, and have a good time, every time! This activity helps to build confidence and resilience in the individual by equipping them with the skills to master the rapids on their own. In doing this it creates a strong sense of achievement and personal responsibility for their own learning, whilst strengthening and building fast decision making skills. The best times of the year for river sledding are from November through till May. It can still be run throughout most of the year as we have wetsuits and splash jackets to provide you with warmth and protection.
If you are looking for a full day of activities then we can suggest some packages that work very well together;
- River Sled and Caving
- River Sled and abseil
All of these activities are based out in the Yarra Valley which is part of why you can squeeze two 3 hour experiences into one action packed day of adventure if you choose!
FULL DAY OPTION
PRICE & EXTRA’S
- $1600 for a group of up to 16 participants
- $2300 for a group of up to 24 participants
- For an extra $500 per group of 24 you can have the group picked up from an office, home or hotel
- Lunch can also be added to this package:
- Lunch $15 per person
- Catered lunch $50 per person
- Lunch at Rochford $75 per person
- Add on a second activity to make your day a full day of adventure such as Caving or Rock Climb / Abseil – extra $700 for the group
Our most popular location to run river sledding is in the Yarra Valley on the Upper Yarra River in Warburton. This is a short drive from Melbourne and has easy access to the river and roads with loads of small and continuous exciting rapids.
DATES & TIMES
As this is a private tour, it is available every day of the year (except Christmas Day)
- Professional white water guides
- River Sled, wetsuit and spray jacket
- Safety gear including PFD (personal floatation device) & helmet
- Added option: book a morning session and get a Full Cellar Door Wine Tasting Experience at Rochford Wines (valid on day of activity and closes at 5pm)
- Added lunch option: book a morning session and you have the option to add a delicious winery lunch from Rochford Wines (only a short 25min drive from our Kayaking site).
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Maximum weight: 110 kg
- Adults to accompany children under the age of: 16 years
- Participants under 18 years old must have their forms filled in by parent or guardian
- You must have your own transport to get to the site.
- You must be able to swim at least 25 meters. If you are uncomfortable with the thought of being in the water then you may want to see our Melbourne Scenic Kayaking Tour instead
WHAT TO BRING:
An email will be sent to you upon booking for details on what to bring on your river sledding tour. We recommend to dress for the weather and keep in mind that will get wet so please bring a change of clothes. Don’t bring anything you don’t want to get wet. We can lock your personal belongings in our vehicle while you’re on your tour. If you would like to take photos please bring a waterproof camera as there will be plenty of opportunity to take some awesome shots while your on the river.